17/11/2018

The Great Tuition Revolution 2017 -2018

I realised that in my haste to type everything in a stream of consciousness with no edits in between, I missed out on plenty of information in my previous post.

Let me try to organise my thoughts and refrain from jumbling up all my random ideas floating around and popping out of nowhere.

These past two years have been a rollercoaster ride of endless excitement, joy, pleasant surprises and bliss. I am going up, up , up without knowing how high I can even go. I catch my breath, pause, and BOOM! Another bundle of joy (not in the human baby sense) comes tumbling into my arms. Catch it, a voice in my head screams, catch it when it comes! And so I did.

You think the tuition industry features someone getting a text from an agent, dictating where she should go to meet her  next adolescent buried beneath ten year series assessment books? Well that used to me in the past, but all of a sudden, two crucial things have changed:

1) My students are above 18. They are taking business and accounting degrees in public and private universities in Singapore. They need help with a certain module.
2) You do not even need a middleman helping you to coordinate the workflow. You can set up an Instagram page and boom! People google tuition, find you, and ask you. Directly. Yes. That is how the world works now. I am by no means an entrepreneur or businesswoman yet but I feel like one. Wow. WOW. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My managerial accounting was good at some areas (variable costing/ activity based costing) and exceptionally poor in other areas (transfer pricing? oh no!) but luckily for me, the managerial accounting taught in private universities such as Kaplan and SIM featured nothing but my favourite topics while entirely skipping my inept ones. So yes, bingo! Bring it on, let me teach you, tertiary students of Kaplan!

Financial accounting is pretty standard, I always get B+ or A- for them. Never too low. I think I was born an INTP but all the follow-do-follow-do mindsets in business school is transforming my mind into an ISTP. You know bond amortisation tables? Yeah, you do not need adcanced calculus for that, you just follow the instructions like a factory line assembly worker follows a set routine. See, do, see do, until you remember everything. You know all the finance lease payment schedules? It is nothing like creative problem solving you see under jC Maths, you just look, do, look, do, what the hell. Really, it is like that one. See la, from INTP go and become ISTP.

I have two financial accounting students from SMU this year, and one financial accounting from SIM last year. SIM syllabus was quite basic, and the SMU syllabus contains higher level stuff you need a financial calculator for. Stuff like lease payments, bond amortisation schedules are really torturing the young minds of SMU freshmen (yes, they learn in year one, gosh!) and I am trying to help.

As for CMFAS professional exams, I have been approached for tuition in that. Yes, working adults in CBD area are flocking to me for tuition. I used all sorts of funny mnemonics to enable my students to remember stuff. While financial accounting requires a stiff upper lip and a no-nonsense approach that suppresses my vivid imagination, it is definitely alright to let loose and be INTP for a while when I teach CMFAS.

How to remember that covered call is a  bullish strategy? (M9A)
How I teach my students to remember: A Bull charges to the bathroom while you take a shower. You are freaked out so you faster cover your body and call your husband. Thats why is called covered call.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

How to remember that you need to have 5 years of working experience, of which 3 years are in the managerial capacity if you are on the board of a financial advisory company? (M5)

Got one chinese idiom called  三五成群 so here you go, got the 3 got the 5. woohoooo.