17/11/2018

More and more opportunities

I always thought that JC and secondary school tuition markets are booming with demand but it has come to my attention that polytechnic and university students are in dire need of academic help too! This is interesting. In 2015, I started with my first managerial accounting student from SIM.

In 2016, a sharp rise in the number of university students was seen. I took 6? I thought it was a bountiful harvest (at that point in time) but please check out what happened thereafter.

In 2017, I had a record number of 13 university students. That number is sheer amazing, because who would imagine a whole bunch of tertiary students coming forth for tuition? I had students from RMIT, Kaplan, and SIM. Wow, just wow.

I had no idea that 2018 hasn't even finished, and I am already on to my 12th student. Some were repeat customers from 2017 (you should always retain your customers, customer retention is far more important than new customer acquisition, really!) and some were new.

To top off the novelty, let me tell you that I welcomed my first CMFAS student in 2018. A Japanese national with kids, 10 years my senior. She was trying to pass her CMFAS modules.

And as fate would have it, in September 2018, another CMFAS student came sliding into my Instagram direct message requesting for a public meet up at Starbucks (okay my idea actually, I didnt want to go to his house) to study for CMFAS.

Do you still need agents? Looks like the demand for middlemen is decreasing, cos anyone can just come to you via Instagram if you brand yourself properly as some kind of CMFAS guru.

I never had tuition students who directly find me (without peer to peer introduction) until 2018. I have no idea how technology has evolved so much that customers can now hit me up directly in person. What on earth is going on.........................

Interestingly, while 2017 brought me RMIT and Kaplan, 2018 brought me SMU. Yes, a tier one university in Singapore. I have 3 students from SMU this year. Two need help in financial accounting and one needs help with essay writing and vocabulary. ALl three are born and bred Singaporeans, while 2017 brought me mainly foreign students on student passes.

I worked at CASCO tuition centre in 2017, teaching English. In 2018, my ex student from 2 years ago referred me to another centre where her mum works, and ta-dah, I have a new centre to work for. I teach secondary school principle of acounting and she went from F9 to C5 this time. Ok la, a jump in 4 grades.

AND GUESS WHAT?

Her school made me sign on her exam script. Now not just parents signature, tutor also must sign. What sorcery is this??????? TIMES HAVE CHANGED. I feel like I am living in some kind of fantasy world where unicorns fly above rainbows HAHAHAH.